On to the Northern Peninsula, Newfoundland

Tuesday, we took the day off to golf at Humber Valley Resort - top ranked course in Newfoundland.  Great condition and the scenery was spectacular.  It is laid out on the side of a mountain with the Humber River down in the valley.  Gorgeous - and we actually played pretty good golf!



Wednesday, we headed north to Gros Morne National Park - southern district.  We stopped at the Discovery Center and toured their exhibits and watched a movie about the park.
Still a few small pockets of snow on the north side of mountains

We were hoping to put the kayak in the Trout River here, but it is too windy. We stayed at a National Park campground in Trout River without hookups, but no problems as weather is comfortable.


The Tablelands here are made of the oldest rocks in the world - the Earth's mantel that was pushed up between two plates pressing together.  It is rich in heavy metals, so nothing grows here and the mountains and rocks are orange.  On the other side of the highway are lush green hillsides - quite the contrast. Thursday morning brought heavy clouds and it started raining lightly.  My plans were to take a ranger-guided hike through the Tablelands, but the rain is forecast to worsen, so I bailed.

I debated staying an extra day in the area so I could do the hike the next day, but we have done everything there is to do and two nights in a row without electricity isn't appealing.  So, I decided to skip my hike and we drove out and around to the beginning of the northern district of Gros Morne park.  Unfortunately, I broke my golden rule about getting photos while I can and postponed taking the Tablelands as I planned on doing that on my hike.  No hike, no photos.  sorry.  We did stop and explore the small town of Woody Point and got some neat pics..

Someone's backyard with their toys.  I could live here for the summer with this setup

Instead of a bottle tree, they have a birdhouse tree.


Downtown Woody Point


Lots to do here in the northern district, but the weather is going to be spotty for the next couple of days with showers forecast on and off.  The low clouds make it impossible to get good photos, but I did take a few anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment