|The scrub desert now has pink sand|
|Long lonely roads with incredible views|
|Our first glimpse of distant Monument Valley|
We got a campsite in the same place we stayed in about 13 years ago when visiting the area that overlooks the valley. John Wayne stayed in the adjoining motel while making multiple western movies in the area.
We first had some thunderstorms that gave us some great shots of the valley, but then a dust storm rolled through and hazed out the rock formations.
|Red rocks from our window|
|Can't decide which is prettier - our newly painted RV or the Red Rock Hill|
|Haze from dust storm|
Those of you who have been following our adventures (misadventures?) know that a similar situation occurred 10 years ago when we were in Page, Arizona and he was transported then to Flagstaff with an intestinal blockage (6 months after his colostomy). Everything turned out well then and everything turned out fine this time, too. He could not be airlifted because of severe thunderstorms in the area and instead was taken 2 1/2 hours by ambulance to Flagstaff. I got there an hour before him because they told me to head out while they still thought he would be transported by air. They already had a room ready for him, an admitting doctor examined him thoroughly, and they gave me approval to park overnight in their parking lot.
The next morning, the cardiologist PA spent about 1/2 hour with Jack and recommended an angiogram to determine if there were any blockages, followed by inserting a stent, if necessary. They did the test, using an artery in his wrist, the same morning, and found one artery 75% blocked and tried to insert a stent, but had trouble with his arteries around his shoulder. They scheduled another procedure for Tuesday morning that would use a groin insertion point that would be more direct to the heart, but a bit more dangerous. This procedure worked, although they still had some difficulty because of calcified arteries. He had no pain, but had to lay flat for 6 hours without moving his leg. Everything went well, and he was released on Wednesday and we decided to head straight home so he could see his cardiologist in Summerville. We were lucky and grateful to have found so many caring, professional medical personnel both in Kayenta and Flagstaff.
And so this will be the last post for our 2018 Summer Trip. We are hoping to get back on the road in September to visit family and friends in New Jersey and New York and may take some time to do some leaf peeping in New England....we shall see. Thanks for vicariously joining our trip this year! Hoping everyone enjoys the rest of this summer.