Tuesday, January 17, 2017: Las Cruces, NM to Willcox, AZ

Stayed last night at a campground on the fringes of Las Cruces, New Mexico and after breakfast, I wandered down 2 miles to a small historical town called Mesilla.  This town used to be in Mexico, but it became part of the United States with the Gadsden Purchase.  It has narrow streets around a central plaza, mostly in adobe.  Famous also for being where Billy The Kid stood trial.  Loved the doorways and the courtyards.


The church on the Plaza

Plaza









Afterwards, I got back on I-10 and headed west for a few hours, seeing miles of nut trees (pistachios and almonds seem to be the most popular here) as well as fields of red chilies, drying in the fields.  Just past Willcox, Arizona.  I drove south about 8 miles to a wildlife area where Sandhill Cranes (up to 5' high) winter over.  I could hear them in the distance, but could not see them.  Darn.  Hopefully, I will get another chance to see them and Whooping Cranes on my return trip through southern Texas and Mississippi.

Storms and Sandhill Cranes were in the area, but I could not see them


I returned to Willcox to get fuel and get a campsite for the night.
Sunset (Mountain Standard Time) in Willcox
Weather is cooler and occasional rain storms come through...not what I expected for southern Arizona desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment