Sunday, January 15, 2017: Davis Mountains, Texas

Two nights ago, I was at a nice Army Corps of Engineer Campground where mule deer spent the early evening grazing around the campsites.

Today, I started early because the forecast was for high winds in the afternoon and the RV is just not fun to drive under those circumstances.

I headed west on I-10 and then drove south 25 miles to Ft. Davis, and got a campsite at the State Park.  The weather finally started clearing and the winds picked up, but I decided to drive the 75 mile scenic Davis Mountains loop.  It was a beautiful drive and I enjoyed seeing the sun and the mountains after the last three days of gloomy skies and flat scrubland.


I stopped briefly at the McDonald Observatory, but their tour was going to take three hours and that would not give me time to finish the scenic drive.  I was going to take the self-guided tour, but when I made the turn to go to the telescopes, a big sign said NO RVs.  Bummer.

The newest and largest telescope at 394".

I finished driving the scenic loop through the mountains on the highest highway in Texas, encountering a short snow squall at the higher elevations, but returned to 50 degrees at the bottom and sunny skies.


Views of the Observatory with the older, smaller telescopes on the left

Many warning signs about not driving through standing water with these gauges next to the road to show just how high the water can get from flash floods


This formation is called Sawtooth






The small downtown Fort Davis
I returned to the State Park and set up camp, then took a walk around the park.  No phone, no reliable internet, no tv here, but did find one NPR station so I could at least hear the news.

Incredible stargazing here because of the extra dark skies, but too windy and cold for me to enjoy the stars for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment