Monday, January 16, 2017 Finishing up West Texas

It is MLK Day, but I was surprised to see the banks open?

Anyway, I left the Davis Mountain campsite and checked out the State Park's viewpoint from atop a nearby hill.




My campsite is among the trees in this "valley".  The large white building is a lodge built by the CCC in the 1930's.


Then I headed north to I-10 and then continued west under beautiful sunny, but cool, skies westward.  This part of I-10 is quite pretty as mountains are visible almost all the time in at least one direction. El Paso is a major city, and Jaurez on the other side of the border is even bigger - over 1,000,000 population.  As I headed west, the huge border fence was visible along the highway for miles.  And you could see the homes on the Mexican side right up against the fence that looked like tiny two room adobe homes crammed together in what looked like slums.

Whew, I finally made it through Texas!!!  I am spending the night in a commercial campground in Las Cruces, Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment