June 8, Monday: Bighorn Canyon to White Sulphur Springs, Montana

 Woke to clear, sunny skies, a nice breeze, and temps in the high 60s.  Coffee outside overlooking the river and the red canyon walls.  Quiet but for the birds.  No big game, but did spot these two.


I drove the 30 miles back out of Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area, stopping frequently to take photos.


Took a short interpretive trail that showed rock tipi rings.  The Crow used this area as temporary camp and the rocks in the circle were used to hold the outside of the tipi down in windy conditions.  Some rings also had a second circle within the circle that were inside the tipi for insulation.



Further down the road in the Pryor Wild Horse Range, I spotted a couple of wild mustangs.  These are descendants of the horses the Spanish brought with them to the new world.  A larger telephoto lens is on my wish list for my birthday... (hint to Jack).

I was looking to take two hikes here, but managed to miss the signs for both.  I felt a lot better when I got back to the Visitor Center (which had been closed yesterday) and they told me the trailheads are marked only when travelling north and I was traveling south!  duh.

At one of my photo stops, I encountered this...any guesses?
Maybe a calf?


I am far behind in updating this blog.  It has only been three days, but so many photos and experiences to share that I decided to take a different route north through Montana so I could stop at a campground with WORKING WiFi.  So I drove a little further west and north to White Sulpher Springs in central Montana.  Lots dryer here in most places than in Wyoming with less green and more sagebrush except for the irrigated fields.

Spent the evening organizing photos, checking email, and updating the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment