June 10, Wednesday: Fort Benton, MT to Glacier National Park

Woke early and had a lot of prep to do because there will be no hookups in Glacier and I plan to be there a few days.  After charging all the electronics, filling with fresh water and dumping the tanks, I stopped and filled with diesel and drove around the cute little downtown area of Fort Benton.


Approaching Glacier, but still at least an hour away
Then I headed straight north through the really big sky country.  It is beautiful for the first 15 minutes, then it becomes boring, really boring.  I stopped in the relatively large town of Shelby, a couple of hours west of Glacier to pick up some groceries and then drove west on Route 2 to Browning where I topped off the tank as diesel is limited in the Glacier area.

After passing through the Blackfeet Indian nation, I stopped in East Glacier to see the old Great Northern Railroad East Glacier Lodge.  It was similar to other national park lodges with huge tree trunks as supporting timber, lots of wood, a 3-story lobby with a gigantic walk-in fireplace and creaky old wooden floors.  The back porch had gorgeous views of the mountains.

Drove a few miles north to the Two Medicine Valley entrance on the southeast side of Glacier National Park, going through a thunderstorm with a bit of hail on the way.  This is a self-park, self-pay campground so I found a great spot right on the lake with a massive mountain behind and in front of me.  Perfect, as you can tell by the number of photos I took....











While making dinner, the clouds got dark and heavy and I could hear thunder in the distance.  It cleared and clouded up again and it rained a bit a few times during the night.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment