June 11, Thursday: Two Medicine Valley, Glacier National Park

Woke to a very cool, clear and sunny morning.  Inside the RV is 55 degrees, so probably low 50s out. Smells fresh and piney with birds singing everywhere...it is going to be a good day!

Drove down to the boat dock area, but way too breezy for our kayak.  I inquired about the 20 minute boat trip across the lake so I could hike up to Twin Falls.  Luckily, they were leaving in 10 minutes and I made the 5th person aboard this beautiful 1934 wooden boat.

At the end of the lake, the other four folks were not going to go to the falls, which made me a bit nervous as they warn against hiking alone in bear country.  The boat captain  recommended talking loudly, singing, and clapping your hands to make sure you do not surprise a bear as that is when they can become dangerous.

As I was getting off the boat, another boat employee was there who had kayaked out and was going to walk to the falls on his day off.   Lucky me, Zane's (really) normal job is to give a guided hike up to the falls, so I got a private tour and, unlike me, he actually knew how to use the bear spray he was carrying. A beautiful 1 1/2 mile hike and when I had to return by myself to the boat dock for the return trip, I sang pretty much every song I knew and lots I didn't.....

After lunch, I took another waterfall hike, this time to Appistoki Falls.  It went up gradually the first half mile, then became very steep.  I sang and talked to myself and called to the bears by name (Yogi, Mama, Papa and Baby) but I was a bit disappointed in these falls because I could't get a good viewpoint to see the entire falls to take a photo.  As I returned back down the mountain, I passed lots of hikers on the way up, so the bears were spared my chorale concert.



My last walk of the day was a short 1/2 mile stroll to Running Eagle Falls.

Approaching St. Mary's entrance to Glacier
I debated staying another night here at Two medicine, but with no phone service last night or all day, I knew Jack would be worried.  So I headed the 12 miles east out of Two Valley and another 10 miles or so north to St. Mary's, the major east entrance to the Park, where I was sure I could get phone service somewhere in the area.

I got a campsite on a brushy hillside in the St. Mary's campground with a view of some mountains in the distance - nowhere near as nice as Two Medicine.  It is very breezy, 74 degrees and clear with a few little white clouds stretched out by the apparent high winds aloft.  A nice cup of tea enjoyed outside before dinner.  It was a fabulous day.









No comments:

Post a Comment